Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Jordan "Rok" Bailey

VOGUE|D:
I just want to start this interview off with a serious question.What do you think of the current stage of Hip Hop?


ROK BAILEY.

I believe that right now hip hop is in its recovery stage. There are alot of new, creative rappers such as J cole, wale, and kendrick lemar that are bringing a sense of lyricism back into music. Underground hip hop is thriving right now as well. I love to see that.

VOGUE|D.
Okay, well just what exactly do you hope to accomplish with your music?

ROK BAILEY.

I hope to bring popular music back into hip hop. I make music for everyone because I've come into contact with so many different types of people. I can make music for the singles mothers, and I can write songs for the middle aged white man who wants to relax after a hard day of work. The goal is for my music to be universally good.

VOGUE|D.
When did you decide that you wanted to pursue music and how long have you been rapping?

ROK BAILEY.

I have loved music since forever lol, but I got serious about music around 13. I used to walk to play basketball and freestyle to myself until i arrived at the courts. Eventually, i began rapping in front of large groups of people. I credit my friends for encouraging me to break into the music industry, because my lines used to cause quite a reaction with them lol.



VOGUE|D.
Okay and speaking of the music industry, what is your biggest fear regarding it [the music industry]?

ROK BAILEY.

My biggest fear period has always been that my voice will never truly be heard. If I can't make my way inside the industry without speaking from my soul, then I will feel dissapointed in myself. Coming from the hood, there are so many experiences I can speak on wether its the struggle or the violence. Those stories hold so much value.

VOGUE|D.
Who are your biggest influences and why?

ROK BAILEY.

My favorite artists are Kanye West, Young Jeezy, and Andre 3000. Coldplay is my favorite band. To me, Kanye is the best "artist" in the world, he can produce, rap, and perform. Plus, he'll speak his mind on ANYTHING in the media. Jeezy is the realest ever, and Andre 3000 has a unique flow. I still haven't made it to a Coldplay concert lol those guys are amazing..Viva la vida became my favorite song after a couple listens

VOGUE|D.

Now, If you had anything to tell to other aspiring musicians what would it be?

ROK BAILEY
.
Change the world. If you can't change the world with your music, then spread love with your music.

VOGUE|D.
Well, It was an absolute pleasure speaking with you, and we wish you all the success in the world - one day the World will be screaming ROK BAILEY!


ROK BAILEY.
Thank you, thank you and I love the website! Its
very organized which is underrated. I usually read about 2 or 3 posts a day whether its music related or fashion related!





-Taking Hollywood by STORM

1 comment:

  1. "Change the world. If you can't change the world with your music, then spread love with your music."

    Coming from an 'aspiring artist' I really liked that^ statement. It really does prove Hip Hop is on the rise [again].

    ReplyDelete