Thursday, February 23, 2012

When Adele Was In Vogue

Adele's momentum is showing no signs of slowing. After winning six Grammy Awards last week and taking the top prize at the Brit Awards on Tuesday, Adele's latest album "21" has topped the pop charts for its 21st nonconsecutive week and bested a chart record set by  the late Whitney Houston. Adele released her second album, 21, in January of last year and sold more than seventeen million copies worldwide (nearly six million in the United States). Check some excepts from Adele's feature in US Vogue. 
Adele reveals how she really feels about the Red Carpet:
“I hate the red carpet. I don’t feel insecure, I just feel like, Oh, I don’t want to do this. I literally get a stomach cramp. At the VMA’s last year I felt really out of my comfort zone because there were so many superstars there. But that’s been the case from day one. I never feel like, Oh, yeah, I should be here. And I was missing my best friend’s hen night. So I was a bit bitter that I wasn’t there, to be perfectly honest.”
Adele talks fear with US Vogue:
"The first TV show I ever did was Later . . . With Jools Holland, when I was eighteen, and I was sandwiched between Björk and Paul McCartney. And the fear in my eyes is exactly the same fear that’s in my eyes when I come on singing now. The more records I sell and the bigger this all gets, the bigger the shows get. It’s like a vicious cycle.”
Adele's take on how she should perform her music:
“I definitely think that less is more. I don’t think I could pull it off, doing an elaborate show. There are a couple of songs that are worthy of a few explosions and dancing teams and stuff like that. But I would feel really uncomfortable displaying my music like that. I just want to sing it. I don’t want to perform with my body.”
Adele on Love: 
“I know I play the victim on the album, but I do give as good as I get.” 


Jonathan Van Meter (Vogue): What might your exes say are your worst and best qualities?


Adele: “Oh, my God! I love a bit of drama. That’s a bad thing. I can flip really quickly. I am not bipolar, but I go from ‘Oh, my God, I love you’ to ‘Get the fuck out of my house!’ really quickly. And I never sit there and talk about it. I give them the silent treatment. They’re like, ‘Tell me what I’ve done so I can say sorry!’ What else? It used to be that I loved a drink a bit too much. But I don’t drink no more. The good things: I am attentive. I will do anything for my man. I am a good cook. I’m funny. Always want to have sex.” She cracks up. “Well, most girls don’t!”


Adele explains where the titles for her hits "Rolling in the Deep" & "Chasing Pavements" derived from: 


“ ‘Chasing Pavements’ came from me running down Oxford Street. I had punched my ex in a pub and then ran away from security. And then I just kept running even though they weren’t chasing me anymore. I was running from something. And I didn’t know what. I was just chasing a pavement. And I was like, Ka-ching! I will get my record-deal money now! And then with ‘Rolling in the Deep,’ there’s a gang phrase in the U.K., roll deep, that basically means having someone have your back so you are never on your own if you come into trouble. It’s a real gangster thing, but I think it’s really beautiful. So I just turned it into ‘Rolling in the Deep.’ ”


Coming from Brixton, a rough neighborhood in South London, Adele reveals her hood side:


“I always call myself ‘Delly from the Block.’ You know J.Lo’s ‘Jenny from the Block’?” She sings a few bars and then cracks up. “I think I was just a thick-skinned girl from a very young age.”


When can we expect the next Adele album:
 “I’m in it for the long run. I don’t want to be disposable. You’re only as good as your next record. I’m not scared of losing this. I won’t come out with new music until it’s better than 21. I’m not expecting to sell as many records, but I don’t want to release shit. Also, I have nothing to write about! I’d be lying. And that would go against everything I’ve ended up building for myself. So, yeah, I will need at least three years to write a record.”
Check out VOGUE March 2012 Magazine cover featuring Adele

D'Mor J: "No Style, No Fashion. It's that Simple."

2 comments: